X3watch for iOS is an accountability software app helping with online integrity. Whenever you browse the internet on your Apple device and access a site which may contain questionable material, the program will record the site name, time, and date the site was visited. A person of your choice (an accountability partner) will receive an email containing all possible questionable sites you may have visited within the week. The application works within its own custom X3watch browser on the iOS devices.
Latest version is 1.7.2. for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch.
The X3watch iPhone application is different from X3watch on computers. The first thing to understand is that no program can run in the background on the iPhone. That is exactly what X3watch normally does. It runs in the background. So, we had to come up with another plan. What we did was create a browser that replaces Safari and has the X3watch accountability technology built into it. Here are some features:
● X3watch only works on an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad when you disable Safari. Here's how you do that: From the main iPhone/iPod screen choose the “Settings” option. Tap "General." Tap “Restrictions” to turn that feature on (if it is not already on; you will also be required to create/enter a 4-digit passcode) Then drag the slider under the “Safari” option to “OFF”. In this menu, there are other important features you can shut off as well, including content ratings, turning off YouTube, iTunes downloads, and installing other applications.
● One more brilliant thing we added was this: every time you go around the software and enable Safari, X3watch will catch it and your accountability partner will be notified.
● X3watch does have tabbed browsing and favorites like Safari does. The software allows you the ability to take you right to a URL that you have copied while in another app.
● The iPhone has certain functions that only work with Safari. When you get an email in Mail that has a hyperlink, there is no way to tap it and open it in anything but Safari. Apple is smart like that. What you can do is copy and paste that link into the X3watch browser. We have also added a feature that will automatically detect when something is on your clipboard, so you can choose to quickly paste the link into the X3watch browser to save time.
● X3watch allows you to select which day you want your reports to be sent. You can also resend the introductory email at any point and send reports out on demand. The reports will be sent even if the X3watch browser is not open, as they are sent from the server. The report links that get sent out via email stay available for that particular week for up to 30 days, then expire for the sake of confidentiality.
● Apple gave X3watch a 17+ rating because it allows unfiltered access to the internet, where content with mature or suggestive themes can be accessed. That is the only reason why it is 17+, because you can access the internet from within the application.
● Apple continues to make improvements and developments, and more applications are coming out everyday. We will welcome any feedback on this software and make changes as we can and see needed. Please understand we are more concerned about accountability than we are about browser convenience. If you want to be accountable on the iPhone, you will have to be inconvenienced a little bit, but we believe this is worth it. X3watch will only work if you disable Safari. This is going to be a dealbreaker for some of you, but if you really want to be accountable then you will deal with this. Here is the reason: if Safari is not disabled, then you can go look at porn on Safari and there's no way we can monitor or track it. You then can open the X3watch browser where all your porn sites will be monitored. Your accountability statements will not reflect what you looked at on Safari.